Job Title: Data Engineer
Why We’re Hiring
At Harvest, you’ll be working with a team of honest and respectful engineers who value giving and receiving feedback and trust that they can count on each other.
Harvest Engineering consists of Product Engineering and Platform Engineering. Within Platform Engineering there are currently three teams, Site Reliability Engineering (SRE), Data and Security Engineering (DSE), and Engineering Productivity (EP)
The Data and Security Engineering (DSE) team is responsible for providing infrastructure and tooling that supports both internal and external data science and security needs. On the data engineering side, much of their work involves creating pipelines from various systems and tools, processing the incoming data, and pushing it into our data warehouse for future consumption. For security, engineers use and/or build tools and partner with external vendors to assess various threats to Harvest and our customers’ data. They then work to improve our applications and build additional tooling to keep us safe.
What You’ll Do
- Support Harvest’s data warehouse and drive the evolution of our pipelines.
- Identify and implement process improvements: designing infrastructure that scales, automating manual processes, etc.
- Take ownership of the various tasks that will allow us to maintain high-quality data; ingestion, validation, transformation, enrichment, mapping, storage, etc
- Implement testing and observability across the data infrastructure to ensure data quality from raw sources to downstream models.
- Collaborate with the Insights and SRE teams to build reliable, scalable tooling for analysis and experimentation.
- Collaborate with the Product team to anticipate and support changes to the data.
Who You Are
- You are a great communicator who can explain complex technical issues to a broad, non-technical audience.
- You work well with engineering, support, product, legal, and the executive team.
- You tailor your communication style, level of detail, and approach based on the audience.
- You are able to empathize with a diverse range of engineers.
- You balance reaching out for help from others with researching solutions on your own. You know where to find answers and when to ask for assistance.
- You care about the details, but not at the cost of the big picture.
- You believe finishing and shipping a good project is better than waiting for perfection.
- You believe feedback is a gift, seek it out, and act on it.
What You’ve Done
- You have strong experience with relational and non-relational data stores, including BigQuery.
- You have experience in ETL/ELT design and implementation using tools like Stitch.
- You understand database performance concepts like indices, segmentation, projections, and partitions.
- You have successfully delivered projects working with Data Science and Engineering teams.
- You are comfortable with cloud infrastructure, containerization, and orchestration.