This may be the topic that arouses your interest and for good reason since there are very few people who are able to spend months dedicating themselves to an unpaid internship. Many people wrongly believe there are no paid internships in the UN System. However, there are various organizations that belong to the UN System that offer stipends or some type of assistance. Obviously, you will not have a luxurious life as an intern but some of the programs provide sufficient and satisfactory living conditions for you to have this experience.
As a UN Intern, you will be working directly with outstanding and inspiring career professionals and senior management, you will be exposed to high-profile conferences, participate in meetings, and contribute to analytical work as well as organizational policy of the United Nations. Initially, you will take on the amount of responsibility you can shoulder; the potential for growth, however, is yours to develop.
Not many people looking for internships are aware that several UN organizations have made the decision to pay all of their interns, helping to defray their living expenses. Most recently, UNICEF declared that it has modified its internship policy to include paid internships, acting independently of the rest of the UN
The UnitedNations is made up of several organizations, funds, and programs, ( although not all of them pay their interns and read the internship advertisements carefully).
A limited number of international organizations (IGOs) that frequently provide paid internships are listed below:
Top 10 Organizations within the United Nations that provide paid internship opportunities
- Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO): Stipend up to USD 700/month.
- International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) : Stipend.
- International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD): Monthly allowance, and housing and travel allowance.
- International Labour Organization (ILO): Stipend to cover basic subsistence costs.
- International Organization for Migration (IOM): Subsistence allowance.
- United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS): Monthly stipend.
- World Food Programme (WFP): Stipend up to USD 1,000/month.
- World Trade Organization (WTO): Daily allowance of 60 CHF/day.
- United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF): Stipend.
- International Finance Corporation (IFC): Hourly Allowance.